The function of the Assessor's Department is to value all taxable real and personal property in the Township annually through completion of an annual Assessment Roll.
The department is responsible for the following:
- Inspecting and collecting data on existing and new construction including additions and losses to taxable property, as well as continually studying and analyzing the local real estate market to determine property value as of tax day, which is December 31 of each year.
- Maintaining the Property Record Cards for all properties, consisting of name, address and/or legal description, including building sketches, legal descriptions, square footage and year built, etc.
- Maintaining all Principal Residence Exemption filings, Rescissions and related records.
- Maintaining Property Transfer Affidavits
- Maintaining the mapping system by processing all approved splits and combinations of property, including the issuance of parcel numbers.
- Providing the means of assessment appeal through the March Board of Review and correction of mutual mistakes of fact or clerical error through the July and December Boards of Review.
- Preparing and defending all assessment petitions to the Michigan Tax Tribunal.
- Preparing all reports, forms and warrants mandated by the State of Michigan and Livingston County Equalization Department.
- Preparing all Special Assessment Rolls as required, pursuant to State Law and Township Board Resolution.
- Personal Property Statements are filed with this office.
- The department provides property data to local realtors, fee appraisers, lenders, taxpayers and the general public daily.